Thursday 17 July 2014

London Town


Popped up to London for the day yesterday. They say the streets of London are paved with gold. Well, gold must smell a bit like vomit and bin juice. London stank! (on many fronts). It was hot and the streets did not smell good, poor old tourists (who only seem to be from China these days. No one else can afford it!). Anyway, thought i needed a beer to get away from the heat and the stench (a very nice Meantime London Pale Ale, thanks for asking... although the five pound pint also depresses me).
so i take a seat and was then faced with this depressing view. Stinks doesn't it? What are people doing? (i do it too). Very depressing. All sitting in this communally spirited pub, having a drink and ignoring every other life form present! Have we all gone mad? I imagined a time in the not so distant past where strangers would pull up a bar stoll and slowly start to chat with their fellow man, enquire about their day, their life, get an insight into another persons world. Society needs a rethink.


This photo was taken on the train home and the scene was repeated all down the carriage (and at many other points during the day). Depressing. What's going on with us, will it ever change? Horrible. Lot's of disconnected people all drifting past each other.


Popped into the Contemporary Ceramic Centre and fondled some Dylan Bowen and Phil Rogers pots ; )  Then over the road and into the British Museum to cheer myself up and ogle some old slipware.





...and the odd bit of Medieval.


Then finally met up with my old friends Chris and Ann. Chris is a fellow illustrator, please check out his website (and his new record!). I first met Chris when i was a student at Kingston University... over 20 years ago, yikes! It's always good to catch up with old friends and have a laugh!


I just saw this old pic out the corner of my eye, an echo across the years (many years!). Me and Chris and our good friend Craigio.... who's Birthday it happens to be today... Happy Birthday Amigo! Craigio now lives even further away in Thailand. Wish he could have been there with us yesterday.

... I was a rebel, i always wore my glasses on the dancefloor! ; )

... and sorry Marky! (my other good friend Mark, hates seeing my old hairless photos!)

2 comments:

  1. I went out to dinner a couple months ago with my husband and two other men. Gerry went to the restroom and the other two men got out their iphones and started comparing instagram photos, totally ignoring me and no one having conversation. There was a time when those two would have been trying to figure out how to get me in bed behind my husband's back. I don't know which is more depressing, that I'm not that young and cute anymore and don't have to fight of unwanted advances or sitting at a table watching two grown men oblivious to the fact that they have absolutely no manners and were the two most uninteresting blobs I have ever had dinner with!
    I almost cried I felt so unimportant. I make it a rule not to get my phone out and mindlessly scroll around in public. It is the worst new cultural phenomenon I have ever seen. No one looks up anymore.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's wrong with men these days Tracey?! I'm laughing, but i feel your pain. At least Gerry will be happy to read that ; ) It's certainly a weird world. Just imagine we could both be in the same bar, not talking, flicking through stuff that's already happened... and look at the interesting conversation we would have missed.... but then blogging is tied into all this remote communication, social media stuff too. Where do we draw lines?

    ReplyDelete