Wednesday 13 February 2013

Museum Mystery Slipware Pot



 I came across this in a magazine that came home from the kids school.... and now I'm intrigued! I've studied the Museum's pots often and I can tell you this isn't amongst them... what is it meant to be? A bear? a slipware monkey? Haven't seen one anywhere before though... have any of you potters? I have to locate this pot and try to see it in person. I shall call the museum later and let you know what i find out. It seemed a very odd choice of image for their Animal Antics, especially if it's not on display. Maybe it is now, I'll pop in on my way home!... by the way I like it, I like it a lot!


2 comments:

  1. That looks like a pig jug from Ewenny pottery in Glamorgan. They have some very similar in St.Fagan's museum near Cardiff. It's a fabulous 'out door ' museum of Welsh folk life. You would need a whole day there to see it.But the good news is it's very child friendly. I am trying to find some more pictures for you. I'll post them on my pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Margaret. I popped in the Museum and it had BRUIN written on the bottom of it's belly, so Bear it is. I'm going to try and get my hands on it and have a much closer look. I have no idea why it's not on permanent display. I hope to change that though!

    ReplyDelete