Tuesday 9 October 2012

Life Savers


Thought I'd push a couple of books on you. These two popped up just when i needed them. I wasn't looking for them, they found me. Firstly there's Tiny Homes, this is the book by LLoyd Kahn that i said  i had bought. It is a fantastic book, with hundreds of pictures, of small homes, shelters, shacks that people have built. Tracey, you need this book... and not just because you make them. Anyway, go buy a copy. There's no way you could be disappointed (unless you have no heart or soul and if you don't please stop reading my blog!). The price is also incredibly reasonable.


The other book that found it's way to me is 'Fuck It, the ultimate spiritual way'. If you worry about stuff too much, care what others think too much etc etc go buy it and read it. It's kept me the calmest I've been in a long time, it gives you great perspective and it's not all that usual "spiritual" stuff, it's funny and very well written. It's a very Western way to embrace Eastern ideas. There you go, so whatever is troubling you at the minute, just say "fuck it" to it.... feel better? good. Buy it, read it, feel better. I've been sitting there in the evenings, when Jakki is working, with the lights down, both books on my lap, notebook, sketchbook and pen to hand... and found myself relaxed! (though that could be the booze, also sitting next to me!). Definitely books for this new century of ours.



7 comments:

  1. This little house book has been in my radar for awhile, I guess I need to buy it. Every now and then someone will email me a photo from it. The other one looks like my mantra, so I definitely need that one, haha! and maybe a copy for Wesley too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: I love reading your blog and wish your wife wrote more because I love reading her blog as well!! good stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tracey! It will be $18 (ahem, amazon..cough) very well spent. You'll be thinking of that sweet property you had in mind, but with one of these homes on it!! Very inspiring, very beautiful and very thought provoking. Above all it's just a fantastic mass of pictures... just how you'd dream a book like this would be.
    The other book just tells you the right things... like it's ok to pull out of line and go home and make soup! the world's not going to change from you not being there, but you'll feel happier and more relaxed. It's a good book, the guy's done all the other stuff and has boiled it down, to it's essence.

    Jakki would love to write more, but is working 2 jobs at the moment! I'm letting the team down (for now). At least she'll have material when she gets the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As luck would have it,Wesley needed to go to the bookstore for school and there on the display shelf in the craft section was the tiny home book! They had ONE, and I bought it, more like $24.95 with my Barnes and Noble membership, but that's ok, it is all you said it was. Really great book, I would have missed it had I not read your blog today :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to get that second one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read these books, but they seem to encompass my growing approach to everything. Definitely need to find a copy of both. And then to convince my wife that a small house with bunkbeds is the future...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Brandon! I thoroughly recommend both... find yourself a man-corner and indulge.
    Both make a lot of sense right now. The more i look into this kind of building and read about our attachment/meaning to money, i think it makes more sense. We're working/stressing about making money to cover running house space we don't need, bills we don't need to pay etc etc etc. It's all about cutting back and allowing yourself to do more of what you really want. You can't say fairer than that, we do only get one relatively short life after all.... and in a hundred years evidence of our existence will be practically gone. Go buy two books today!

    ReplyDelete