Thursday 9 February 2012

Keeping it simple


I'm really enjoying playing around with limited tools right now. I'm doing lots of drawing with just the lasso and pencil tool in photoshop. In fact it's how I'm doing all the work for the animation that I'm working on. I've used it in the past just for roughing some stuff out in colour, before then going on to draw it in pens, scan and colour up in photoshop. I've been tempted to use it for artwork, but now something seems to have clicked and i'm playing around with it more, maybe i'll print some out and redraw little bits in pencil and scan those in, so it's a bit more of a mix. I like how drawing with a mouse and lasso tool keeps me loose, sometimes i over tighten things up and lose some of that energy. I also like the fact it's really basic mark making. we've had computers around long enough now for people to have really pushed what images you can make and getting ultra slick, so it's nice to throw all that away and just use two basic tools. I like it anyway. Years ago i did a few of my favourite albums as minimally as i could, just 300x300 pixels, only using the lasso and pencil tool (quiz: can anyone name the last album with the brown cover?). I also have this idea for a kid's picture book which has been kicking around for a while now and i used the same approach on that too (well, i have about a dozen ideas, but don't get me started on the World of picture books!). I'll see where it leads me. Might just create a few personal images and leave it at that... who knows? Sometimes it's just nice to let the work lead you. Anyway, that's what's happening in my head right now.

The Death Of Winston Pickle


The REAL covers
300x300pixels x300dpi


Picture book sketches




6 comments:

  1. not a clue, but love your sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He He... neither have I Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what it is!!!!


    It's on the tip of my tongue,i have the CD.If i could actually get under the pile of other Cd's i could tell you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Without bothering looking for this CD,is it Modest Mouse?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found it.Jason Anderson-New England!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the determined persistence!! only Kasch wouldn't let something go like that. The Mojo Cohen pic looked great in the mag too. I'll make the next test harder!

    ReplyDelete